Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The day we became a Family of 4

January 3, 2011

We decided to be induced for this labor because Aiden's labor was so quick. I was getting more and more concerned everyday what I was going to do wtih Aiden if we went into labor and my doctor suggested relieving some of the stress by inducing labor. So on Monday, January 3rd at 4:30am we headed to San Antonio Community Hospital to have our 2nd child.

Grandpa Mando stayed at the house and took care of Aiden for us. Barbara, Jimmy and I packed up the truck and headed to L&D. When we got there they checked us in and got things started...well not really started. They had has fill out more paperwork and then at 6:15am they started the Pitocin Drip. Every 30 minutes they came in to check if I was having contractions and to everyone demise I was not. The nurse told us it could take 12 to 36hours to have the baby. I about crapped my pants...36hours without Aiden seemed like a very long time. Heck Grandpa Mando probably was wondering what the heck he signed up for!!!!

Jimmy, Barbara and I laughed and giggled and acted silly for about 5 1/2 hours. Grandpa called and asked Barbara if she wanted to hav elunch with him and Aiden and we thought it was a GREAT idea. That way Aiden got to play with Grandpa and Grandma and Barb got something to eat. Right before the boys arrived at the hospital the contractions began to pick up and about 12:15pm while Grandma was in the restroom Jimmy and I heard a pop, watched my belly jump and the babies hear rate race to over 200 beats per minute. I looked at jimmy and said I needed to use the restroom. When he helped me up we realized my water had broke. The nurse came in and cleaned up the bed but she didn't seem to care about the floor.

When I got back in bed the nurse checked me and said I was at 3 1/2 cm dialated and asked if I wanted any pain meds. I told her sure but not yet. She said OK let me know when. Jimmy told Barb it was going to be a while and Grandma left for lunch with Aiden and Grandpa. Barb told me to not have the baby without her and I said don't go to the play structure. Jimmy told her it would be a while and to take her time.

I don't remember much about the next few hours except that they gave me a narcotic called Staydol and it knocked me out. But I could still feel the pain of the contractions. As soon as the nurse administered the drug I started hallucinating and was sent into a green room with a green plastic picnic table. During my contractions Jimmy would show up on the other side of the table and hold my hand and my legs would open and close with the contractions on top of the table. When I wasn't having a contraction the name Andrew would float across the table.

After a while they woke me up and I signed a piece of paper saying it was OK to administer a epidural. They gave me the epidural but never administered the medicine. By tthe time I laid back down I told the nurse I had to push she checked me and said I was at a 9 1/2. She left the room to call Dr. Alwan.

By this time I am asking for Grandma because I know she wanted to be there for the delivery and I knew the baby was coming quickly. Jimmy left the room to tel his brother to get his mom ASAP and while he was in the hallway I called for him. I told him I was pushing. He lifted the sheet and saw the babies head come out and go back in. He figured he had at least a minute to get the nurse. He ran into the hallway say his mom and the nurse on opposites sides of the hall. Got his mom first and she barely made it to the delivery of her 4th grandchild. Jimmy got the nurse and told her he saw head. They ran to the room and the nurse barely had time to glove up before the 4th push delivered a beautifully healthy baby boy.

After the delivery I looked at Jimmy and told him his name was Andrew not Brody and Jimmy said OK. Our baby Andrew Craig Ballesteros was born at 3:04pm, weight 7lbs 8oz and was 20 inches long.





1 comment: